Dhaka the capital city
A road in Dhaka
Mahasthan, the oldest archaeological site of Bangladesh is on the
western bank of river Karatoa 18 km. north of Bogra town beside
Bogra-Rangpur Road. The spectacular site is an imposing landmark in the
area having a fortified, oblong enclosure measuring 5000 ft. by 4500
ft.with an average height of 15 ft. from the surrounding paddy fields.
Beyond the fortified area, other ancient ruins fan out within a
semicircle of about five miles radius. Several isolated mounds, the
local names of which are Govinda Bhita Temple, Khodai Pathar Mound,
Mankalir Kunda, Parasuramer Bedi, Jiyat Kunda etc. surround the
This 3rd century archaeological site is still held to be of great
sanctity by the Hindus. Every year (rnid-April) and once in every 12
years (December) thousands of Hindu devotees join the bathing ceremony
on the bank of river Karatoa. A visit to the Mahasthangarh site museum
will open up for you wide variety of antiquities, ranging from
terracotta objects to gold ornaments and coins recovered from the site.
For visiting Paharpur and Mahasthangarh, the visitors may enjoy the
hospitality of Parjatan Motel at Bogra. Mahasthangarh and Paharpur are
only 18 km. and 75 km.respectively from Bogra town.
An isolated low, dimpled range of hills, dotted -with more than 50
ancient Buddhist settlements of the 8th to 12th century A.D. known as
Mainamati-Laimai range are extended through the centre of the district
Salban Vihara, almost in the middle of the Mainarnati-Lalmai hill range
consists of 115 cells, built around a spacious courtyard with cruciform
temple in the centre facing its only gateway complex to the north
resembling that of the Paharpur Monastery.
Kotila Mura situated on a flattened hillock, about 5 km north of Salban
Vihara inside the Comilla Cantonment is a picturesque Buddhist
establishment. Here three stupas are found side by side representing the
Buddhist "Trinity" or three jewels i.e. the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha.
Charpatra Mura is an isolated small oblong shrine situated about 2.5 krn.
north-west of kotila Mura stupas. The only approach to the shrine is
from the East through a gateway which leads to a spacious hall.
The Mainamati site Museum has a rich and varied collection of copper
plates, gold and silver coins and 86 bronze objects. Over 150 bronze
statues have been recovered mostly from the monastic cells, bronze
stupas, stone sculptures and hundreds of terracotta plaques each
measuring on an average of 9" high and 8" to 12" wide. Mairiamati is
only 114 km. from Dhaka City and is just a day's trip by road on way to
The most ornate among the late medieval temples of Bangladesh is the
Kantanahar temple near Dinajpur town,which was built in 1752 by Maharaja
Pran Nath of Dinajpur. The temple, a 50' square three storyed edifice,
rests on a slightly curved raised plinth of sandstone blocks, believed
to have been quarried from the ruins of the ancient city of Bangarh near
Gangharampur in West Bengal. It was originally a navaratna temple,
crowned with four richly ornamental corner towers on two storeys and a
central one over the third storey. Unfortunately these ornate towers
collapsed during an earthquake at the end of the 19th century. ln spite
of this, the monument rightly claims to bethe finest extant example of
its type in brick and terracotta,built by bengali artisans. The central
cells is surrounded on all sides by a covered varendah, each pierced by
three entrances, which are separated by equally ornate dwarf brick
pillars, Corresponding to the three delicately causped entrances of the
balcony, the sanctum has also three richly decorated arched openings on
each face. Every inch of the temple surface is beautifully embellished
with exquisite terracotta plaques, representing flora fauna, geometric
motifs, mythological scenes and an astonishing array of contemporary
social scenes and favourite pastimes.
Besides, there are many other monuments which incite tourist interest.
Carries the memory of the Nobel laurate poet Rabindranath Tagore who
made frequent visits to this place and used to stay in connection with
the administration of his jamindari and enriched Bengali literature
through his writings during that time. It is located at a distance of
about 20 km. from Kushtia town.
About 75 km. from Pabna town, it is also a historical place connected
with the frequent visits of poet Rabindranath Tagore.
Moharaja's Palace : About 40 km. from
Rajshahi by roads is Natore, an old seat of Maharajas with a beautiful
palace now serving as the Uttara Ganabhaban (President's Official
residence of the northern region). It was residence of the Dighapatiya
Raj. It is situated amid well-kept grounds, surrounded by a fine moat.
The buildings are modern. They include a well-equipped guest-house, an
imposing gateway and a fine garden decorated with statues of white
known as Sagar Kannya (Daughter of the Sea) is a rare scenic beauty spot
on the southernmost tip of Bangladesh. Kuakata in Latachapli union under
Kalapara Police Station of Patuakhali district is about 30 km in length
and 6 km in breadth. It is 70 km from Patuakhali district headquarters
and 320 km from Dhaka. At Kuakata excellent combination of the
picturesque natural beauty, sandy beach, blue sky, huge expanse of water
of the Bay and evergreen forest in really eye-catching.
The name Kuakata have originated from Kua-Well dug on the sea shore by
the early Rakhine settlers in quest of collecting drinking water, who
landed on Kuakata coast after explled from Arakan by Moughals.
Afterwards, it has become a tradition of digging Kua-Well in the
neighbourhood of Rakhaine homestead for collection water for drinking
purpose and general use.
TOURIST ATTRACTIONS :
Kuakata is one of the rarest places which has the
unique beauty of offering the full view of the rising and setting of
crimson sun in the water of the Bay of Bengal in a calm environment.
That perhaps makes Kuakata one of the world's unique beaches. The long
and wide beach at Kuakata has a typical natural setting. This sandy
beach has gentle slopes into the Bay of Bengal and bathing there is as
pleasant as is walking or diving.
Kuakata is truly a virgin beach-a sanctuary for migratory winter birds,
a series of coconut trees, sandy beach of blue Bay, a feast for the eye.
Forest, boats plying in the Bay of Bengal with colourful sails, fishing,
towering cliffs, surfing waves everything here touches every visitor's
heart. The unique customs and costumes of the 'Rakhyne' tribal families
and Buddhist Temple of about hundred years old indicate the ancient
tradition and cultural heritage, which are objects of great pleasure
Kuakata is the place of pilgrimage of the Hindus and Buddhist
Innumerable devotees arrive here at the festival of 'Rush Purnima' and 'Maghi
Purnima'. On these two days they take holy bath and traditional fairs
are held here. All these additional offers to panoramic beauty make the
beach more attractive to the visitors. One should visit Kuakata and
discover the lovely grace of Bangladesh.
MEANS OF COMMUNICATION :
There exists road commiunication between Dhaka and
Patuakhali district headquaters. Accessible by road, water or air
transport up to Barisal. Then one may travel by road or water to Kuakata
BRTC has introduced direct bus service from Dhaka to Kuakata via Barisal.
Besides that, Bangladesh Parjatan Corporation, National Tourism
Organization may organize guided package tours from Dhaka to Kuakata on
PARJATAN FACILITIES :
Parjatan Holiday Homes at Kuakata is an ideal
tourist resort having a number of facilities for the tourists.
Deluxe Motel 10 twin rooms
Dormitory 30 beds
Resturant 50 seating
Other facilities : A pond of crystal clean
sweet water beside the motel attract the tourists.
For advance reservation and further details one may contact :
Central Reservation, Bangladesh Parjatan Corporation.
Head Office, 233, Airport Road, Tejgaon, Dhaka.
Paharpur is a small village 5 km. west of Jamalganj in the greater
Rajshahi district where the remains of the most important and the
largest known monastery south of the Himalayas has been excavated. This
7th century archaeological find covers approximately an area of 27acres
of land. The entire establishment, occupying a quadrangular court,
measuring more than 900 ft. externally on each side, has high enclosure-
walls about 16 ft. in thickness and from 12 ft. to 15 ft. height. With
elaborate gateway complex on the north, there are 45 cells on the north
and 44 in each of the other three sides with a total number of 177
rooms. The architecture of the pyramidal cruciform temple is profoundly
influenced by those of South-East Asia, especially Myanmar and Java.
A small site-Museum built in 1956-57 houses the representative
collection of objects recovered from the area.The excavated findings
have also been preserved at theVarendra Research Museum at Rajshahi.The
antiquities of the museum include terracotta plaques, images of
different gods and goddesses, potteries, coins, inscriptions, ornamental
bricks and other minor clay objects.
Chhota Sona Mosque :
One of the most graceful monument
of the Sultanate period is the Chhota Sona Masjid or Small Golden Mosque
at Gaur in Rajshahi Built by one Wali Muhammad during the reign of
Sultan Alauddin Husain Shah (1493-1519). Originally it was roofed over
with 15 gold-gilded domes including the 3 Chauchala domes in the middle
row, from which it derives its curious name.
Museum : Situated at Rajshahi, this
museum has a rich collection of objects of Mohenjodaro and also of 16th
to 19th century A.D. This is devoted to the study of ancient history and
culture. Its rich collections contain interesting objects of past Hindu,
Buddhist and Muslim heritage. It is located at the heart of Rajshahi
town and maintarned by Rajshahi University authority. The year of its
formal establishment is 1910 A.D. Admission is free.
Puthia has the largest number of
historically important Hindu structures in Bangladesh. The most amazing
of the village''s monuments is the Govinda Temple, which was erected
between 1823 and 1895 by one of the maharanis of the Puthia estate.
It''s a large square structure crowned by a set of miniature ornamental
towers. It''s covered by incredibly intricate designs in terracotta
depicting scenes from Hindu epics, which give it the appearance of
having been draped by a huge red oriental carpet.
The ornate Siva Temple is an imposing and excellent example of the
five-spire Hindu style of temple architecture common in northern India.
The ornate temple has three tapering tiers topped by four spires. It''s
decorated with stone carvings and sculptural works which unfortunately
were disfigured during the War of Liberation. The village''s 16-century
Jagannath Temple is one of the finest examples of a hut-shaped temple:
measuring only 5m (16ft) on each side, it features a single tapering
tower which rises to a height of 10m (33ft). Its western facade is
adorned with terracotta panels of geometric design.
Puthia is 23km (14mi) east of Rajshahi and 16km (10mi) west of Natore.
Catch a bus from either town. Puthia is 1km (6mi) south of the highway.
From Chittagong a 77 km road amidst green fields and winding hills will
take you to Rangamati, the headquarter of Rangamati Hill District which
is a wonderful repository of scenic splendours with flora and fauna of
varied descriptions. The township is located on the western bank of the
Kaptai lake. Rangamati is a favourite holiday resort because of its
beautiful landscape, scenic beauty, lake, colourful tribes (Chakma,
Marma etc)., its flora and fauna, tribal museum, hanging bridge,
homespun textile products, ivory jewellery and the tribal men and women
who fashion them. For tourists the attractions of Rangamati are
numerous, tribal life, fishing, speed boat cruising, water skiing,
hiking, bathing or merely enjoying nature as it is.
Tribal Museum :
The only Tribal Cultural Museum in
the Hill Tracts region was established at Rangamati town in 1978 and run
by the Tribal Cultural Institute. It preserves valuable objects and
articles of different tribes depicting their socio-economic, cultural
and historical tradition. These include typical tribal dresses,
ornaments, arms and ammunitions, coins, statues made of wood, bronze and
other metals, musical instruments, ivory products, handicrafts,
paintings on tribal life etc. Open: Saturday- Thursday, 10.00 a.m.- 4.00
p.m. Closed: Friday & Public Holidys. Admiddion is free.
Kaptai lake :
The Kaptai lake is a wonderful spot
for boating and cruising. Parjatan and private operators offer a number
of cruises by mechanical boats. One can go to various scenic spots in
Shuvalong, Barkal, Longadu, Mainimukh and other areas by boat from
Back to Home Page